Moving to Fedora

After many years using Mandriva (even when it was Mandrake), I finally move my personal systems to Fedora. I always consider Mandriva an excellent Linux distribution, really easy to install and use (even more than Ubuntu), but the current situation of Mandriva (please google-it) gave me the signals to move on.

My current situation is developing (Perl, C, R) using my Mac with Snow Leopard, but all my heavy work runs on linux servers (real and cloud) mainly CentOS, so I decided to keep me in the RedHat family. Besides my iMac, I own an Asus 1000HA netbook and an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop. First I tried Fedora 16 in the netbook, the XFCE remix, it works wonderful considering the low power of a netbook. This week I installed Fedora17 in the Acer, after a quick installation I'm using it o write this post. I have no complains with the last Gnome release, actually I like it, it's pretty. I only had a hardware problem, the wireless card, but amazingly after checking the status with dmesg, I see a really descriptive line:

[ 593.564077] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode15.fw" not found
[ 593.564083] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode15.fw" not found
[ 593.564087] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

WOW, the system is telling me where can I find the solution, something that few years ago we wished. Following the instruction was really painless to make work my WiFi.

Now I'm installing my usual packages and preparing the machine for the long running jobs we have ahead. And yes, now I'm using a fedora hat too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ubuntu Cluster - Slave nodes

PS3 cluster