Mandriva 2009

Last week, Mandriva released the 2009 version, because I'm a mandriva fan, immediately I downloaded the One-KDE ISO, burn it and installed in my old HP laptop (PIII 1Ghz, 256 Mb RAM, 20 Gb HD, Wi-fi card).

The LiveCD run perfectly, show me the new KDE4 desktop and made a clean install without problems (many others Linux LiveCD have problems just to boot in old hardware like this). I like to use a different partition for the /home, so my partition table looks like:
  • / 5GB
  • swap - 512 MB
  • /geexbox - 100MB
  • /home - rest
Yes, I want to install the GeeXBoX, it's great for watch movies.

Some good points are the new design, fast boot, the best hardware detection and many friendly menus to configure all. Remarkable is the improved URPMI, it is fast, now support simultaneous package download and the best part is the --auto-orphans option, this check for unused or broken packages and suggest uninstall, cleaning the systems even the kernel, removing unused drivers or modules. Before this I need to do manually, now is automatic.

KDE is a little heavy for this laptop, so I install XFCE and LXDE, as alternatives.

sudo urpmi task-xfce
sudo urpmi task-lxde

A bad point is I need to wait for the x86_64 version to upgrade my other laptop with a AMD Athlon 64 X2.

My desktop:


Download Mandriva: http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
Notes of the release: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes
A tour of the release: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Tour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ubuntu Cluster - Slave nodes

PS3 cluster